Saturday, February 20, 2016

Week 4 Backward Design Stage 2: Assignment #1


Week 4 Backward Design
Stage 2: Determining Acceptable Evidence

Task#1 and Assignment#1 Reader Response (Theory) 

I identified the desired results based on learning standards. However, I believe the desired results should also encompass a goal that involves the student taking their knowledge beyond the classroom. Aside from passing the tests and meeting the learning standards, what do we want the student to carry with them as they move forward with their education (in school and beyond)? What are they learning here that they can build upon in the future?

When I was brainstorming the essential questions I tried to put myself in the students' shoes. I thought about what the lesson would mean to someone who was hearing it for the first time. I also thought about questions that would make the lesson personal to them. In the past, I have found that relating something to someone's personal life or specific circumstances really increases their interest. I found this to be a driving force when coming up with my understandings as well. Applying lessons, ideas and questions to something students are experiencing in the moment is one way to get them to truly understand a concept as opposed to just learning it. 

Speaking generally, determining the skills and knowledge students should acquire in college to make them ready for the workforce is vast and specific to their area of study. I believe the skills are more cut and dry.  The facts, formulas, techniques, vocabulary, etc., are all skills that one must master in their field of study. The knowledge you'd like them to acquire encompasses thoughts, ideas, emotions, applications, etc., that go beyond the skills. 

It is my belief that the knowledge portion is the most important. It's the part that I hope will stick with my students. With knowledge and understanding they will be able to go back and re-learn and/or refine skills when necessary. It is my hope that my students’ knowledge will also help them acknowledge what they don't know, as there is always more to learn, experience and understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment